Monday 22 August 2011

Re: Bank of England split on interest rate policy as consumers struggle

This is the feelings of one such reader from the Telegraph [UK] and his feelings about how he is going survive in today`s turbulent world of financial wheeling and dealing, people need stability in their lives and not these financial whizz kids using the stock market like some kind of children`s toy. He finishes with the words " Wish I Was A Debtor " - how SAD.

Thanks Maxwellgood for your comments.

Re: Bank of England split on interest rate policy as consumers struggle: My savings are intended firstly to help in eventual retirement and secondly, to allow me to spend some of it now.

The former is being made very uncertain by this pronounced and prolonged savers/debtors imbalance - in effect, negative rates eroding the pensions pot. If I had the sort of money mpc members have, then it wouldn't be a problem.

The latter is not possible because of inflation. There's no slack to spend. I have to try to preserve what I have by keeping it in fixed term accounts to get the best rate in order not to fall too far behind inflation.

Rates ought to keep pace with inflation. If house prices fell (it's not certain they would by much), then they will recover after the short term. After 4 years of bountifully low rates few mortgagees should be in potential difficulty - savers shouldn't be expected to cover current debtors risks.

Wish I was a debtor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment after signing into this blog and receive my latest newsletter about my thoughts and feelings and follow us on twitter at https://twitter.com/AceFinanceNews
Thank you Ian {Editor}